Welcome Week 2016 Event Submission
Welcome Week Event Submission
Welcome Week 2016 runs September 18-25, 2016. It is more than just the Monday and Tuesday before classes begin, so we encourage you to think more broadly about programming. Additionally while there are some events that specifically target new students Welcome Week is for the entire campus, so offering programs like open houses, workshops, and gatherings once classes begin, may increase your chances of attracting current students as well.
There are certain events that we will not promote or allow any programming against, those are called signature events and those times and ates are:
Sunday, Setember 18th
4:00pm-9:00pm: Required Hall meetings. Hall meetings will run throughout this time period (but not last the whole time). Students living on campus are required to attend these hall meetings.
9:00pm-12:00am: Welcome Week Kick-off/Rec Night at Dixon
Monday, September 19th
11:00pm -1:00am: OSU College Night at Fred Meyer
Tuesday, September 20th
12:00pm-3:00pm: Academic College Events
3:00-5:00pm: New Student Walk & Convocation
5:00p-7:00pm: Orange and Black Rally
Wednesday, September 20th
11:00a-3:00pm: Beaver Community Fair
Friday, September 22nd
9:00p-11:00pm: Battle of the DJs
11:00pp-1:00am: After Dark at Welcome Week
Also, please note the following are campus-wide events happening that same week that may impact your programming:
Monday, September 19th: University Day
Saturday, September 23rd: Home Football Game
- Please be aware of the signature events and don't submit events that conflict
- Your submission will be what is publicized, so please word titles, and descriptions for the audience
- Have a starting and ending time and a confirmed location
- Keep the title of your event simple and somewhat obvious...we find if students don't understand what the title means they won't go
- It's okay to program at the same time as another event (as long as it isn't a signature event), Especially if it is an open house or drop-in events, students will come and go.
- Welcome week is a FULL week, we need to have programming all week long (even with classes). Please consider the open
Over the years we have gotten questions about how we inform students about Welcome Week events. Below is a list of ways in which NSPFO publicizes Welcome Week to new students:
- Talked about throughout START
- E-newsletter sent the week before move-in
- Website: welcome.oregonstate.edu
- OSU Guide App (through google play and Itunes)
- Work with a committee to do cross-promotion accross campus and within residence halls
- Large daily printed schedules that are put up in the MU, Dixon and Dining Centers
- Daily electronic schedules sent to campus (this is an internal document and new this year)
- We do not produce printed schedules for students; because we found that events are ever changing, adjusting and being added and cancelled and usually whatever was printed was out of date by the time Welcome Week arrived.
Event Planning Resources
Beaver Tips, provided by the Student Events and Activities Office has some helpful resrouces for programming on campus.
New Student Programs & Family Outreach is happy to consult on your program if you have any questions or help navigating processes.